Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mi traducción de dos poemas de Benedetti

Utopias

How am I to believe / inquired John Doe
That utopias are long gone

How am I to believe
That hope’s oblivion
That pleasure’s woe

How am I to believe / inquired John Doe
That universe is a shipwreck
yet it is
That death is silence
yet it is

How am I to believe
That horizon’s frontier
That ocean’s nobody
That night’s nothing

How am I to believe / inquired John Doe
That your body / Jane Doe
Is nothing more but what I touch
And that this love
Your remote love addressed to me
Is not your eyes` nudity
your hands` parsimony

How am I to believe / Jane Doe from dawn
That you’re only what I gaze at,
What I caress I seek I penetrate

How am I to believe / inquired John Doe
That utopias are no more
If it’s you / my darling daring
eternal Jane Doe
You are my utopia

---------

Jane Doe, if you ever leave me…

Jane Doe if you left me for another man
I / John Doe / would not kill myself
Only, would I follow you through night
Through all paths and routes, and dunes
You in laughter and I perhaps in pain
Till you’re in pain and I in laughter
When the footprints that I chase aren’t
Two big ones and two small ones
But barely your sweet little footprints
And then would I appear by your side
And you / with that guilt that makes you
Even prettier / would forgive yourself
To cry as always on my shoulder

7 comments:

Juan Carlos Gutiérrez Mercado said...

Mi Querida Svetlas!!

Un gusto tener noticias tuyas, sobre todo si éstas vienen a partir de de una visita a mi espacio. Me da gusto también, saber que el cuento haya sido de tu agrado, y espero que el resto del contenido no te sea desagradable.

Mamón, verdad?? Por un lado es la cortesia para agradecer la visita, y por el otro, un pretexto para dejar de lado la seriedad y decir: a chelear a Puebla!!! Digo: Al CONEL a Puebla!!!

Mientras eso sucede nos vemos por aquí.

Un Saludo.

JC

Pd. No sé mucho sobre el arte de la traducción, ni he leído en español esos poemas de Benedetti, pero se leen bien.

¡Reggaetton!

David Rivera said...

Me encantó tu traducción!
Saludos!
Sr Monterrey

Aleita! said...

Apoyo a Monterrey, buena, como usted. Besos reina!

Kitsune said...

Genial!

Anonymous said...

tristísimo todo.

(deberíamos declarar el siglo del olvido para benedetti: cien años en los que nadie lo lea, nadie lo traduzca, nadie lo cite).

Anonymous said...

we barely remember who or what came before...

Cicuta drinker said...

Señorita Svetlana!!

acabo de leer los poemas de MArio en español..y s{olo me queda decir... me postro a tus pies.